For the first time in for-ev-er, I am excited about a new Rob Zombie album.
This thanks to (deep breath) “The Triumph of King Freak (a Crypt of Preservation and Superstition),” the much teased first single from Zombie’s just-announced seventh studio record, (another deep breath) The Lunar Injection Kool Aid Eclipse Conspiracy. The track is both simultaneously heavier, catchier, and more creative than I anticipated. There’s a real blend of styles going on — like around 2:24, when the track seamlessly slides from John 5 playing a bluesy funk riff to early ’90s arena electronica and hip-hop to a metal riff that just fucking CRUSHES. Like, in the first time since I can’t remember when, it sounds like Zombie’s music has actually undergone some creative evolution, and I am HERE for it.
In a 2019 interview with Revolver, Mr. 5 described the album thusly:
“[It’s] Heavy, very heavy. It’s just a heavy Zombie record with great hooks. It’s very, very musical, and a hard-hitting Zombie record. I think people are really gonna dig it. I’m a Zombie fan, and if I heard it, I’d be like, ‘Oh my God, this is brutal.’ I’m really excited about it!”
So I guess I shoulda seen this heaviness coming. But still! There’s hype and there’s reality, and this ain’t just hype.
You can check out “King Freak” via the below music video. Lunar Injection comes out March 12, 2021. The track list is as follows:
- “Expanding the Head of Zed”
- “The Triumph of King Freak (A Crypt of Preservation and Superstition)”
- “The Ballad of Sleazy Rider”
- “Hovering Over the Dull Earth”
- “Shadow of the Cemetery Man”
- “A Brief Static Hum and Then the Radio Blared”
- “18th Century Cannibals, Excitable Morlocks and a One-Way Ticket On the Ghost Train”
- “The Eternal Struggles of the Howling Man”
- “The Much Talked of Metamorphosis”
- “The Satanic Rites of Blacula”
- “Shower of Stones”
- “Shake Your Ass-Smoke Your Grass”
- “What You Gonna Do with That Gun Mama”
- “Get Loose”
- “The Serenity of Witches”
- “Crow Killer Blues”
The cover art is at the bottom of this post.